Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Home Sweet Home



Ever since I was a child I have loved turn-of the-century homes. Their cozy little rooms with ceilings stretched to the sky, claw-foot tubs and pedestal sinks, windows and walls adorned with moldings, and a covered porch where you can spend a lazy afternoon all evoke my idea of a real home. Growing up in apartments, I yearned desperately for such a place and spent hours designing my perfect house, complete with a family, a town and its people. At 10 years old I knew exactly where I wanted to be, I just didn’t know how to get there.

Now I am living in a house like I dreamed of, nestled in the foothills of the Northern Colorado Rockies. Life is much different here than in my native California town. The architecture is dated, the pace is slower, the people are friendlier and the seasons change.

Living in a vintage town has many advantages. The blocks are short and everything is close, which makes walking or bike riding preferred over driving. Shops, markets, banks, coffee houses, restaurants, even the post office, library and civic center are only a few minutes walk from my house. No matter what the weather, you will always find people on the streets, bringing the town to life. I could never be lonely here as there is always someone to strike up a conversation with. It's a comfortable town; like an overstuffed chair, it's easy to settle into.

No comments: